Tuesday, October 28, 2008

XCARET!

As most of you know, Mike and I were blessed to be able to go to Cancun, Mexico for our honeymoon. We went there with the primary goal of visiting the amazing ruins of Chichen Itza, and ended up discovering MUCH more to experience than even that!

Our first excursion was to an eco archaeoligical park called "XCARET".

Xcaret was AMAZING you guys!!!!!

We snorkeled through two underground rivers. I had never snorkelled before and loved it! There were fossilized shells and plants in the caves and walls, and the water was salty and cool. (A welcome change in the 100 degree, 100% humidity weather!Aiiiieeeeee!)Every once in a while we would also stumble across a hot spring and that was really neat. We would also go off exploring the little breaks in the rocks until we hit a dead end or started to get stuck. In restrospect it probably wasn't the most intelligent move, but we had a blast exploring and looking for fish. During one part of the first underground river we came out to find ourselves swimming under the canopy of a mangrove forest. Their branches blocked all but the most determined sunlight as we swam over their tangled roots. At another point in the second river we suddenly came into what had been a large cenote (Spanish for sink hole) which had been covered with a gigantic stained glass mural of butterflies. We couldn't take our good camera in the water with us, but bought a waterproof one. Those pictures have not been developed yet, but I will add them sometime soon. Here are what some of the fish looked like that we saw while we snorkelled:


We also explored XCARET's exquisite butterfly pavilion. It was neat to see the 6 inch caterpillars I have only ever seen in books and their cacoons and chrysalises. My two absolute favorite butterflies (the Zebra and the Queen) were also there!!!!!!! You guys may laugh, but I had not expected them and actually got choked up with tears to be so blessed as to see them. Two life long goals accomplished in a matter of moments. Who could ask for more? (Well, a picture would have made my day, but just to see them was awe inspiring. Their beauty was other worldy even though they never stopped flapping their gorgeous wings for a picture.) Here are some of the pictures that did come out pretty well though:






This is in the pavilion and my version of Heaven on Earth.


The ceilings were just as high as they appear; AMAZING!


Right next to the butterfly pavilion were the huge, man made islands for the jaguars and mountain lions. Even from quite a distance their size was intimidating and a little chilling. I kept wondering if they couldn't still jump that ravine if they really felt like it...? I had not expected them to be quite so very large, and was surprised to feel what I can only call a new found respect mingled with a little fear. They were pretty hard to catch on film, but here's what I've got for you. I suggest duble clicking on the pictures to enlarge them or you may never find them in these shots:

Here is a picture of part of the ravine separating us from our gigantic kitty friends.

Another animal I had always wanted to see was a manatee. (Another goal checked off my list!)They had a pair of them and were teaching the male tricks when we happened by. I think my favorite part was when the manatee would roll over. Such an absolute cutie pie! What a manatee won't do for some good vegetables and fruit, eh? He swam back and forth between the male and female trainers. Here he is:


There were birds everywhere we went: macaws, flamingos, tucans, conures, vultures, etc. Mike especially got a kick out of finding out what color a tucan's bottom is. The flamingos were acting like my high school theatre friends and me back in the day, but of course stopped as soon as I began filming...As for the macaws, they were as loud as you can ever imagine hundreds of them would be, but oh so pretty nonetheless. Hope you enjoy some of what we saw:



The next totally encredible animals I want to show you are the two different species of sea turtles they had there. Mike and I both love turtles, so this was such a thrill to be able to see them from the age where they'd fit in the palm of your hand to the age where their shells were the size of a small dining room table. Apparently the easiest way to differentiate between the two species is the length of the tail; One has a long tail and one a shorter. Here they are:

You know how in the scriptures the prophets sometimes say they "cannot write the smallest part"? This day was something like that, just not in a spiritual way (if that makes any sense). There was an enormous aquarium, a 2 hour night show about Mexico and its culture, actual Mayan ruins smattered about, wild monkeys in the trees, and huge wild orchids, too (see photo of Mike with a huge plant over his head; it's not in bloom, but it's an orchid!) . I wish I could show you everything we saw and experienced that day, but since I can't, here are a few last photos to hold you over:

This is Michael is his first official Mayan Ruin. Hm...guess they weren't 6 feet tall, too?




And here is King Michael with his crown of wild orchids.

A spider monkey that came down for a drink of water.





Check out these cats!

One of the performers from the Night Show we attended.


Here's another performer we randomly caught walking through the park.



My Handsome Hubby

This is me standing near a cool little cave we explored. It had stalagtites, different kinds of mushrooms and was very damp. What can I say? We loved it! It was our kind of place!


4 comments:

Jim said...

Hey! Who was that beautiful young lady hanging on the neck of Michael? I didn't want to mention it, but she looked like she had a thing for him.

All seriousness aside, though, Aubs, these are gorgeous shots. Very true and brilliant colors. The 21 seconds of the cats impressed me greatly. What kinds of cats were they? Ocelots, maybe? Those Aztec-type warriors looked pretty serious to me. I'm glad you both got home wihout being sacrificed. It's one thing to leave your heart in San Francisco, but those guys used to play for keeps!

Dad

Janie said...

You both look so happy! Glad you had a wonderful time.

Humphries said...

What great pictures, it looks like you guys had a great time. The colors on those birds was amazing.

Jocie said...

What an amazing trip! So many things I have always wanted to do myself. I'm a little jealous, but mostly very happy for you. You obviously picked the right place to go, all of your interests in one room. Please tell me Michael was able to see a few orchids as well.