Monday, October 27, 2008

A Welcome Thought

Working in a very customer service oriented position, and having the opportunity to perform extensive acts of service within my LDS faith, I have recently noticed the lack of something I had always taken for granted: the words "You're Welcome". Has anyone else noticed this? Is there an Endangered Word/Phrase list for which I may fill out an application on behalf of this fine phrase?

Or perhaps it is not so much a case of extinction so much as a simple case of metamorphosism? Afterall, I cannot in honesty suggest my gratitude is not expressed in other words or ways. "Sure", "no problem", "anytime", "mm-hm", "don't mention it"(very apropos, no?) and a nod, shrug, or wave will also do in a pinch. Whatever has been done has been acknowledged, so who cares and why am I still prattling on about it?I supose it just makes me sad. It's like growing apart from a strong and true friend without realizing it and then it feels weird to try to go back.

To feel welcome is such a sweet feeling when it is offered in any sense. Cordial consent; with pleasure or kindly courtesy; gladly received; without obligation. All the things we as humans always hope to feel and find as we go throughout this crazy thing called Life.

Well, I find the best way to find something is to bring it with you, and that is now my goal.

6 comments:

nanajohanna said...

Yes, you're right Autumn. I find myself doing that at work. I'll help a patient and they thank me, I don't just say "you're welcome." Somehow it makes me feel as if I'm acknowledging that I really did help them, so I say "no problem." Is it so bad that I accept their thanks with " you're welcome?" I'll try to do just that from now on. Thank you.

Jim said...

Yeah, yeah! What my baby sister and my little girl said!

It is sad that old expressions die away in favor o less elegant phrases which may have the same essential definition and yet don't leave the heart quite as satisfied. An Englishman recently agreed with you in print and you didn't even have the satisfaction of knowing it! Here's what he said:
"If a society loses its idea of what is beautiful, it tends to lose its grip on good behavior. What are manners if they are not a quest for a form of beauty?"
Quentin Letts, Columnist
London Daily Mail, 10 Oct 2008

This all reminds me that some kinds of art, especially music, bring out the best behavior in people. Some other kinds, well...

Dad

James and Aimee said...

Very well said, Chica, and thank you for the wake up call. Stephen did happen to say "you're welcome" to me the other day, and I wasn't really struck by the words, but more by the sweetness in his voice. I guess it all goes hand in hand.

JJ said...

Ha, I like this. Words are significant. And...just nice. :-) I tend to say, "Sure!" but also use "yup" too much, which probably comes across like "yup, you owe me." :-)

Jocie said...

I generally respond with No Problem or You Bet. I recently read an article on the subject and it said that is some societies they say nothing or simply nod as an acknowledgment of the thanks. Because whatever we did for them, it was not done so we would receive a thank you. Just another thought.

Autumn said...

Thank you for everyone's comments, and I hope it is understood my intent was not to come across as "Preachy McGee".

Jocie, I agree with you entirely, and was only trying to say that if someone does do me the honor of saying Thank You, I would like to respond in an equally kind and polite manner. I did not mean to imply that we should always be waiting for another person's Thank You or acknowledgement. I hope we are not doing things for others just to get acknowledgement for the act. How petty! That's a whole 'nuther post...