Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ghetto Fabulous vs. Ghetto Scupulous

The other evening as Michael and I sat cutting up an old, grey T-shirt and sewing the pieces onto our badly fractured lawnmower bag, we had a rather fun little discussion.

First off, we agreed that what we were doing was totally "ghetto" (but worth a shot!) and we sat laughing about it and sewing shoulder-to-shoulder on the front step as the day gradually drew into the dusk. Is it strange that it was such a good time together? 'Cus it really, really was.

Nevertheless, upon completion of our little bonding task, we were pleasantly surprised at how good it ended up looking! We were "The Man", and the lawnmower bag was immediately upgraded to "ghetto fabulous" without a second's hesitation. "Oh fair lawnmower bag with dark gray discarded T-shirt bits, how do we love thee? Let us count the ways!" Ha ha ha! It was great.

On further inspection, and stepping back a few feet to do so, I began to realize that you really couldn't even tell what we had done. I was stoked! The neighbors would remain blissfully ignorant of our crazy antics as we paraded to and fro in plain sight across our lawn. Sweet!

It was then I decided what we had done was none other than "Ghetto Scrupulous"; you had to know it to see it (you knew that was coming though, didn't you?). Yes, I had garnered a new word phrase in honor of our little lawnmower bag. It more than earned it with it's encore performance in the actual role of a literal, working bag several minutes later anyway. (Kudos, dude, kudos.)

The newly mown lawn looked great, monies were saved and we had an unnaturally good time sitting, sewing and chewin' the fat on our own front porch. It was what one observer might call a ghetto scupulously good time.

THE END.

8 comments:

Jim said...

It's moments like those that make marriage worth all the difficulties and sacrifices. And as kids come along it only gets better. You are living in the good old days right now. I'm happy for both of you.

Love,

Dad

nanajohanna said...

You two are following the advice that goes something like..."use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." I'm so impressed. And you had fun too!

Heidi said...

That is so cute, the two of you sitting on the front porch, watching the remains of the day, and working together. I think that something like that sort of thing does more for a couple, than going out to a fancy restaurant and a movie. Though going out is very nice sometimes. At least I know that is true for me and Kevin. I love that you guys had such a great time. I think that was such a cute little story.

Love you,

~Heidi~

Aimee said...

Sounds like a sweet experience. I love hearing about you and your life, Chica. I miss you more when I know what you are up to. Or some of it anyway. Thanks for being my prima. I love you!

Beth said...

Oh! Oh! I think I have one, now that you've introduced me to ghetto scrupulous. I needed some doll dress stands and certainly couldn't afford $20 a piece for a dozen dresses. That's when I realized that a foam swim noodle was just wide enough and with a little help from some file folders as stability it'd be perfect! And no one will know unless they pick up the dress. Total cost - $3 for 3 noodles from the dollar store!

Autumn said...

Yes Beth!! You've got it! Ha! What a great example. Your grade is an A+!

mindy said...

What are you going to tell the jealous neighbor when they ask where you got it? I imagine something like . . . "oooh, it was custom made, one of a kind. Only special people get lawnmowers like these . . ."

JJ said...

Ha! Sounds like a good time, in fact. I can totally see it. Enjoy your ghetto fabulous/scrupulous mower!