Thursday, January 8, 2009

A View from the Top

Ah yes, the smoggy LA Skyline.


I had an opportunity to visit the tallest building in Los Angeles again last night. Random, I know. My co-worker Julie has a client who was opening their ritzy gym on the 57th floor, and she didn't want to go to the opening by herself, so wa-la! I was invited. Needless to say, we got all gussied up and looking good before making the hour long drive through rush hour traffic into the heart of downtown LA-LA Land. Once we arrived, we checked in at the front desk to show our I.D.'s, and were led through security scanners to the first elevator. Yes, we actually had to take two elevators and my ears popped both on the way up and again upon our descent! Ha ha! It was so fun you guys, I can't lie.

Once we arrived, I have to admit I was kind of nervous to mix and mingle. It had been so long since I had attempted to be social or half way chic that I thought I would stick out like a sore thumb. My most recent idea of a night out on the town was either our Ward Christmas party or a daring 9:45 P.M. "book run" with Michael to Barnes & Noble. Turns out I blended right in though, and as I relaxed I was able to see a bunch of other people dressed like they, too, had just come from working in an office. The only pretense of "importance" was the static clingyness with which people stuck to their own groups. Whatever, we walked around introducing ourselves anyway, and had a pretty nice time. Julie always makes it easy to be wherever you are with her, and I should have known I'd have a good time.

The view was improved immensely as we walked to the wall to wall windows. It was gorgeous and we could see the city lights for miles and miles around. I laughed to myself as I realized I was looking down on the helicopter landing pads of other skyscrapers! I guess I had always assumed that wasn't real in all the movies I had seen over the years, but guys, they are really there. (Sometimes it is more obvious to me that I grew up in a small Idaho town than others. I'm still glad I did though!)


All in all it was a pretty cool thing to be able to do. True, I've been to the U.S. Bank Tower twice before as our main vendor at work (Herman Miller) has their showroom in this building, but it was really neat to be able to go up so much higher this time.


It takes me back to 1999 or so when I was on an amazingly cool date with my best friend Matthew Reyes. He had taken me to see the Cinderella Ballet one summer evening, and after it was concluded we wandered around a little bit downtown, ending up at the base of the US Bank Tower. We both leaned up against the building and looked up toward the top--it was crazy tall! I got dizzy just trying to see the top and we ended up laughing about it as we walked back to his car. Never in a million years did I think I would ever step foot inside that impressive building.



Just goes to show, you never know. Keep your eyes on the horizon and who knows where you'll find yourself next? The sky is truly the limit, my friends.



3 comments:

Jim said...

I especially liked your first photo, Honey, smog or no smog. Good composition and great colors. Who knows? The smog may have added a foggy mystery to parts of the city. What kind of camera are you using?

Dad

Autumn said...

Sorry to say this Dad, but I cannot claim either photo as my own. I stole both images from the wonderful world wide web!

James and Aimee said...

Chica, I have to say I was completely surprised to hear you were nervous to go to a social event. I never would have guessed that you could ever be a little shy. I'm not at all surprised that you had a good time. You always make a party good!