Monday, January 12, 2009

Life in the Fast Lane

Sometimes our words come back to haunt (or taunt!) us, don't they? Looking back over my last posting, I found some of my closing lines lined up and waiting to mock me in full force. "Just goes to show, you never know. Keep your eyes on the horizon and who knows where you'll find yourself next." Never know where you'll find yourself indeed!

Friday afternoon I worked a half day and left at noon to make the hour drive out to Lancaster to accompany my adorable mother-in-law, Rosa, to a doctor's appointment. It was a gorgeous day and the skies were super blue due to the extremely high Santa Ana wind gusts pushing the smog away as they sailed through our area. I was in good spirits and making good time. From work I took the 101 South, then exited and cut up through Topanga Canyon, hit the 118 West to the 405 North, made a brief appearance on the 5 North, and finally arrived on the 14 North headed to the desert. As I traveled through the canyons towards Lancaster, I began to really have to fight the aggressive winds as they were channeled through the mountains. I slowed down a bit, but stayed in the fast lane as the traffic was flowing best in that lane. A few cars passed me, but I refused to speed or switch to a slower lane and be forced to travel behind the big rigs in the high winds. 65 Mph was all good to me!

About 5 minutes before I was scheduled to exit the freeway to Rosa's house, the truck in front of me slammed on it's brakes and swerved left into the carpool lane. I suddenly saw a huge pillowtop mattress flipping end over end headed straight for me. As it flattened out and I started to go over it, I instintively hit the brakes--and became high centered in the fast lane. I hit my hazards and layed into my horn as I frantically watched car after car veer away from me again and again. I could neither pull forward or backwards off the mattress. There was a break in the cars for 30 seconds or so during which time I desperately attempted to turn my wheels, and succeeded only in peeling out. Cars appeared behind me in all lanes and I tried to relax my body knowing potential injuries would only be worsened if I allowed myself to tense. (Am I a fact nerd, or what?! Who thinks of these things while they're high centered in the fast lane?? Please pass the pocket protectors, will you?) Out of nowhere, a nice young man driving a fancy little slate grey Mazda pulled over to the side of the road and started trying to flag to other drivers to slow down and pay attention to what was in front of them. This helped A LOT.

Within another minute or so I heard police sirens and wrenched my eyes away from the rearview mirror to see the officers blaring up the south bound side of the freeway. Tears of relief sprang to my eyes and I tried to make myself breathe until they could stop all traffic and reach me. The young man tried to coach me on pulling forward and then quickly reversing to see if I could dislodge the car, but to no avail. Car after car kept screeching dangerously past me. I kept my hand on the horn, my foot on the brakes, and my eyes on the rearview mirrow. Suddenly I saw a police car swerving back and forth across all 4 lanes of traffice, lights flashing and sirens blaring. My hero! It was hard to breath past the lump I suddenly found in my already clenched throat.

A second police car approached me and yelled at the young man who had been trying so hard to help me. He tried to tell them I was lodged on a mattress, but they just yelled at him again to get back into his car and move along. He waved at me and told me, " Good Luck!" and I called a heartfelt , "Thank you!" to him as he left. Really, people are not supposed to do what that young man did, but I have never been more thankful for someone's random act of compassion. I believe 100% I would have been rear ended if he had not stopped to help me.

The officer then came to check on me before deciding he would have to push my car off the mattress. I put the car in neutral and within a few seconds I felt my car eased back down onto the turf. I pulled off the freeway and into a parking lot until I could calm down and control my shaking. The officer was really nice and thoroughly made sure everything was okay for me and my car before leaving me 20 or 30 minutes later. Incredibly, there was no damage to the car.(Mike's larger Mercedes E Class is such a tank! Thank you MBZ for making such fantastic cars! I am so glad Mike works there so we can drive such safe cars.)

I made some test loop drives in the motel parking lot before getting back onto the freeway--in the slow lane, of course. 5 minutes later I pulled up to Pete & Rosa's house where I was promptly hugged, kissed and fed a warm homecooked meal. We made the doctor's appointment, went shopping, and Mike even came out to spend the night at his parents' house so I wouldn't have to drive home that night. When we left in the morning, Mike drove his car (again so I wouldn't have to) and I followed behind in my own own little white car all the way home.

For a first accident, I really was blessed with a soft landing. For those of you who pray for me while I am so far away, please know how thankful I am and that I see the miracle for what it was: the blessing of answered prayers.

Love,
Autumn

9 comments:

Beth said...

Oh my gosh! Can I say, "only in CA!" You were so brave to get back on the freeway and drive the rest of the way to your destination. So glad you made it safe and sound!

James and Aimee said...

Chica, what a scary thing to happen to you! I found myself holding my breath while reading your post. I'm sooooo glad you are safe and that everything turned out ok. Love you!

Mandee said...

A mattress! Wow. I would have been terrified too! So glad your safe.

Jim said...

As one of those who pray for you daily, I join you in giving full credit to deity in getting us through such situations. Much smaller incidents have resulted inmuch worse consequences. I'll be sure to thank Him for His help in saving my "Yudda Gudda."

Of course, I'm also thankful that the nice little car had something so soft to rest on while waiting for rescue. :)

Dad

Humphries said...

Oh my goodness! Ben told me the other day after talking to you but reading it was way more intense. I am so glad that you are ok.

nanajohanna said...

Oh Autumn, Uncle Len and I are so glad it all turned out okay. What a story you'll have to tell years from now.

Jocie said...

Kiddo, words fail me. But now that we know it all ends well, I sure wish I'd been there to see it! Love you!

Michelle LoRe said...

Hey girl, I spoke to my mom yesterday. And she told me all about your adventurous experience you had on the freeway. I'm glad to hear your alright. You said the story best.
I have a freeway story experience to tell you. I was 19 and out with some friends. The driver was a friend of a friend. Anyways, we were on our way home from Santa Monica. The driver was in the far left lane and didn't slow down to get off the off ramp. Instead she stayed at the same speed to the ramp and hit the curb. Loosing control of her vehicle. Almost sending us off the hill to our death. When she took the wheel and turned it to her left. She caused the vehicle to spin off the ramp back on to the freeway. Tumbling two times while skidding across. We managed not to hit any cars. (A miracle) The car was on it's back. I was the first to escape, then my friend. They had to get the jaws of life to remove the driver. The driver and my friend suffered no injuries. I on the other hand, had ripped cartilage in my knee and pavement on my ribs, underarm and shoulders, do to the car skidding across the freeway. I was shaking horribly after getting out of the car. And it wasn't until I got to the hospital to call my parents and tell them the story. Did the tears begin flowing from my eyes. I was more worried about my parents worrying about me. The experience of the vehicle tumbling was like slow motion. I could feel the car crushing us and was aware of my body skidding on the pavement. I was still able to pray to Heavenly Father during the whole experience. I know he had other plans in my life. My wonderful husband and 4 beautiful children. And a wonderful new sister in law. And some new nieces and nephews hopefully soon. :) I wish I could have been there for you and help bring you some comfort. Love you, Michelle

Autumn said...

Thanks everybody for your loving and caring thoughts. I was really scared, and it helped to be able to write about it and share it with you. Reading about my sister in law Michelle's chilling accident makes me realize again how blessed I really was to remain unscathed.

Love,
Autumn