Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Feminine Fabulosity: Some Favorite "Elle" Words

For years I have been intrigued by the store front of a certain building adjacent to the 405 North freeway entrance (which takes me home from the LA LDS Temple). It is a white building with green trim and a lovely set of steps leading up to the front door. I've never seen anyone go in or out of it which, to me, has given it an aire similar to what Charley Bucket must have felt towards Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory. On the building are the words "Louise Green Millinery Co." and just the word millinery fills my sentimental, old fashioned heart with awe. When was the last time someone you know spoke the word millinery? So cool!


Okay, so after years and years of passing Louise Green Millinery Co., I finally remembered to write the name down in my little red pocket book a few weeks ago so I could Google it. And the results? Totally awesome, if way out of my current budget and social setting! *wink* Check these little wonders out, will you? They take me to a place where you might here Miss Eliza Dolittle holler, "C'mon Dover! Move your bloomin' a**!" if you get my meaning. In a classic case of champagne taste meets rootbeer budget, here is a nibble of some of their sumptuous, tantalizing hats:

Cascading ribbons...

..and feather brimmed cloches?!







Didn't know you NEEDED a hat before, did you? Ha ha! Only problem (outside of budgeting of course) is obtaining an event to warrant such frosting in the first place. You know what I mean, chilli beans? Ah well. Oh! Before I forget, I also came across a recent article written about Louise Green Millinery Co., and have attached it here . Even if you don't read the article, be sure to scroll to the bottom for several of the most fabulous hats I have ever seen. FABULOUS, people, FAB.U.LOUS. I would love to hear what you think of all of these hats, so let me know!

And now for my other find of the month, from a hippy-ish company called "Lavender Girl" . While browsing a shop called Beauty Clinic (in Calabasas, near where I work), I stumbled across this little beauty of a hair clip:

And here's what it looks like in your hair (if you are standing there looking "nekkid"):

Isn't it lovely? I particularly like the wispy little curled feathers. Reminds me a little of the birds' feathers in the Dr. Seuss story when the birds kept vying for the most amazing tail feathers--just on a very small scale, of course. Now I am just trying to figure out where one could where something like this (while wearing lots of clothes, of course. What is UP with the nekkid looking models these days?!?!). What do you think? Where would you go wearing something like this? Would you pair it down with jeans and a cardigan? Or would you wear it with something sleek and sexy? Would you buy it only to have it sit collecting dust in your jewelry box (which is what I am afraid would be my case...)? Tell me your thoughts!

Thank you for joining me for this month's "Feminine Fabulosity"! I will see what I can come up with for the ides of March. :) If there is anything wonderfully feminine you've found recently you think deserves to be highlighted (whether fashion, or literature, or music, etc.), I hope you will send me the details so we can get the word out and spread the sweetness. 'Cus let's face it, sometimes it is just fun to be GIRLY! And lately I feel true feminity is harder and harder to find amidst all the "sexy, sexy, sexy" everywhere. Let's work together to bring the good stuff back and make it easier to find.

Love,

Autumn

8 comments:

Beth said...

WOW - amazingly beautiful

Joseph and Mary + Seven said...

My favorite hat is the giant red rose at the bottom. I wish I had the moxy to wear it and a place to wear it to. I would love to visit that shop someday and transport myself back in time! What happened to the good old days when clothes and hats were about style and sophistication rather than how little of clothing you can wear. Let's be classy and leave a little for the imagination! I love the hair clip! I never think about hair accesories for myself, only for the girls, now you've planted the seed! ;) I'm really enjoying your updates, it makes me feel not so far away. Love you!

nanajohanna said...

I almost hate to ask; but what is the price range? They are gorgeous! Your mother always had the style and courage to wear hats and did it so well.

Autumn said...

Good question, Johanna, you're right I never did say. They are all about $200.00 and up, although I believe some of the smaller ones are not quite so pricey. They are definitely obtainable, and not thousands of dollars. If you are interested in checking out prices for specific hats, I suggest going to their website (which is reeeeeally fun to look through anyway): http://www.louisegreen.com/ where you can search by colors, shapes and seasons. If you get one you have to be sure to tell me!!! :D

Thank you for your kind words about my mama, too. So many of these hats reminded me of her, too, and it made me smile to hear you thought the same thing, too. :)

Aimee said...

I love this! The whole idea!

I think my favorite is the purple one with the elegant feathers. WOW!

And I like the hair clip too. I think it would be just right for a date with the love of your life. A nice dinner or just a walk around the block. It would be like wearing perfume I think. Just a little something to enhance your beauty.

I'm really looking forward to more femininity! It's been on my mind too.

Anonymous said...

My inability to stand anything on my head does not stop me from loving hats. My favorite is the cream wispy hat. So delicate and femine. And the large brim remindes me of my mothers hats.

Jim said...

I suppose I should be complaining about the dearth of clothing on that last model,but I just can't bring myself to complain about such a heart-stopping display of fminine perfection.
But I totally understand about the hats. I didn't know I needed lots of things in my life until I ran across them at a gun show. Then, it was too late.

People everywhere said that Shayne was a "hat person." She was a natural with them.

Heidi said...

I don't know how I missed this post until now!! I love it! My favorite one is the white top hat with the dark grey flowers. Gorgeous!! Oh how I wish I were a hat person. Unfortunately, I am not. I do so love to look at them though. LOVE them!! And I am SO looking forward to your next feminine post and will be on the lookout for classy, feminine things to share with you and everyone else. Thanks Autumn!! Love you bunches!!